The Anti-Money Laundering Compliance Unit in the Department of Justice was established following the enactment of the Criminal Justice (Money Laundering and Terrorist Financing) Act 2010 (as amended).
The role of the Unit is:
To undertake compliance monitoring of High Value Goods Dealers (HVGDs) i.e. entities who accept cash payments of €10,000 or more. This can be in one transaction or a series of linked transactions.
- To authorise and compliance monitor Trust or Company Service Providers (TCSPs).
- To undertake compliance monitoring of Tax Advisers/external Accountants (including Book-keepers).
- To undertake compliance monitoring of Bookmakers (both land based and remote).
- To register and compliance monitor Private Members’ Clubs (PMCs).
- To report suspicions of money laundering or terrorist financing to An Garda Síochána and to the Revenue Commissioners.